Kīngitanga Parliament, Maungakawa
At Maungakawa, north of present-day Cambridge in the Waikato, King Tāwhiao established the Kauhanganui in 1890. This 1890s photograph shows the parliament’s meeting house. The Kauhanganui administered a bank with its own currency, a police force and a newspaper, Te Paki o Matariki (the girdle of the Pleiades). The meeting house with its carvings and Tāwhiao’s crown and throne were destroyed by a farmer’s burnoff in 1908.
Rahui Papa and Paul Meredith, 'Kīngitanga – the Māori King movement - Tāwhiao, 1860–1894', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/37864/kingitanga-parliament-maungakawa