Shelters at Te Waikato Sanitorium
These postcards are of Te Waikato Sanatorium, which provided care for tuberculosis patients and convalescent servicemen between 1903 and 1922. The sanatorium was located on a hill called Pukemako (later known as Sanatorium Hill) near Cambridge.
The main building was a grand homestead originally built for the family of Daniel Thornton, who once owned the surrounding land. Fresh air was thought to be good for tuberculosis patients, so small shelters, which could be opened up to catch the breeze, were constructed on the hillside